Two Years

730 days ago, I went to work, had a check up with my OB-GYN (dilated to a 3), walked a couple of laps at the mall (easy, free, and temperature controlled place for a 37 week pregnant lady to walk in the winter), picked Jess up from work , ate dinner, went to the last of our four week long parenting classes, finished packing the hospital bag, and then Jess and I watched an episode or two of Veronica Mars before going to bed. I think that might have been the last "normal" day of my life.

The next morning, February 1st, 2017, I started getting ready for work. While I was getting ready, I felt a little off. My belly hurt some. I texted a friend and a sister-in-law and asked what contractions feel like and started timing what I had going on. (hint, it was contractions). I called the OB's office and told them. Once I felt confident that they were contractions, I sat on the floor of the office to wrap a present for Jess, then went up stairs and told Jess that it looks like I'm going in to labor. He immediately started tidying the house and vacuuming the living room. He called his boss, told him he would be out for a bit, and we drove the 2 minutes to the Women's Center at the hospital on our block. I was checked in around 9 am. I called my parents and told them to hop on a plane, because their 8th grandkid was about to be born and they would probably want to meet her.

Then there's all that labor stuff that happened. Epidural. Jess held my hand. Elizabeth was born around 3. I held her for a moment before they took her to the level 2 nursery to take care of her. My parents arrived around 6 (they had to take a plane, a train, and an automobile to get to me). And it's been a lot of doctor's and nurses and blood tests and appointments since then.

And now, we are on the eve of her 2nd birthday. She's doing pretty good. Her medications are keeping her blood sugars at a safe level. Her therapists are always pleased with the little improvements she makes. She makes us smile and we think she is hilarious.

A regular week for us looks something like this

Motor skills class, Parent Support Group, Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and usually one or two other home visits from the early intervention program we're involved in. Sometimes, we have an appointment in Riverton or Provo or Primary Children's hospital in SLC. We try to go on walks a few times a week. Usually to Target, the library, the park, or an appointment. And that's the gist of it.

In nursery, Jess or I tag along with Elizabeth to keep an eye on things (make sure she keeps her hearing aids in, make sure BGL is good, etc.)  Most of the time, she lays on my lap and drinks a bottle while watching the child sized fight club that is nursery. Elizabeth has one particular little friend in there though. Her name is Gwen (pictured below), and she loves to come cuddle with Elizabeth and I. During singing time, Elizabeth was fussing, so Gwen brought over Elizabeth's empty bottle. When that didn't help, she brought Elizabeth's coat, and that didn't change Elizabeth's mind either. Finally, Gwen heaved and pulled Elizabeth's diaper bag and Elizabeth was happy to play with the key chains on there. It was so sweet of Gwen to be helpful. After singing time, the other kids ran to the table to color, and Gwen kept trying to get Elizabeth to stand up and come with her. It made me tear up a little. It was nice to see one of Elizabeth's peers treat her like they would treat any one else. Not that I have seen any of her peers treat her like she's different. At this age, they don't really see any differences. Anyhow, I hope Elizabeth and Gwen will always be friends. Here they are, nursery buddies.


Any how, we've got a two year old.

And now for a list of things that are making me happy.


  • Papaoutai by Stromae 
    • I don't actually know what the song is about but I am having fun listening to it.
  • Spiderman - In to the Spiderverse
    • I cannot wait until I can get this on Blu-Ray! (yeah, I buy physical copies). It was just so well done. The animation is great. I loved the story. The characters are fantastic. I left feeling inspired. 
  • Cross stitching
    • I decided to pick up cross stitching as a creative outlet that I can do while we wait in the waiting room for all the different appointments she has. I'm getting close to being done with my first project. I am looooving it. I for sure mess up, and it's not perfect, but it's something that keeps my hands busy and it's easy to transport and it's been a good stress reliever. 



Comments

Popular Posts