It's almost Turkey Day!
This last week, there was a family festival that UCCU put on. I helped out a few days and nights. It was a lot of work, but it felt so good to work on something productive, to feel useful.
The festival went better than expected, and we almost can't believe it's over. We worked all day on Saturday, but luckily for us, Monday was the day we had off for Veterans Day. Thank you Veterans! Not just because Jess had a paid holiday, but because of all they have done for our nation. Thank you.
It hit me yesterday (Monday) that it was the 12th of November, and Thanksgiving is on the 22nd. That means we now have less than 10 days until Turkey Day! That also means 10 days until we decorate for Christmas! Huzzah! I am slowly trying to decorate our house more and more each year. Not that we're ever going to be the type to have the whole house decorated for Christmas, but I think it'd be nice to have a cute throw pillow to go along with our 3' tree and nativity sets.
Gluten free eating is still going fine. That's not to say it isn't a struggle, but that's life. I think one thing that I struggle with is products that could be gluten free, except they are processed on facilities that also produce things with gluten in them. We have to be careful about cross contamination, and it is really frustrating when other people have celiac's disease, and they don't take the time to worry about cross contamination, or even eating g-free. It makes me wonder if they just think that as long as they don't feel that sick, it's not a big deal. It's totally possible to have celiac's disease, eat gluten, and feel fine, but it greatly damages the persons insides. I wonder if, perhaps, they don't fully understand what celiac's disease is. I guess that's possible.
Any how, being a gluten free house hold is a little more expensive in some ways, but less expensive in others. Gluten free oats are more expensive, and we have to make sure the herbs and spices we buy aren't cross contaminated (no more WINCO bulk bins!) There are a few times when I have put something in my cart that ought to be fine, but actually were not, like lentils. There are times we have to buy a more expensive brand of a product, because the store brand isn't safe.
Some of Jesse's family gets together to make gingerbread houses during the holidays. We're debating among the following options...
a) try to bake gluten free ginger bread.
b) go to the event, but not participating in the activity
c) buy the products necessary to make glutenized ginger bread, make the ginger bread cookies, and try to be very careful about washing our hands
d) buy a ginger bread house kit for $8, and try to be careful about washing our hands.
e) try making a ginger bread house out of gluten free graham crackers. It will probably be the same price to buy a kit as it would be to buy the amount of gf graham crackers we would need to build a little house.
I think we might buy the kit. We're not planning on eating it any how, we just have to be careful about licking our fingers and touching our mouth. It's going to be different, but do-able.
So, since I have been unemployed, I have done a few things to keep myself busy. There has been days where I have watched way too much television, and done way too little good. Lately, though, I have done a few good and productive things. For one, I have started to listening to radio shows on the Mormon Channel while I have been getting things done around the house. For one, it is nice to hear some one else's pleasant voice around the house. Secondly, it gives me ideas of things to write about in my personal writing. And it always has good things going. It helps me want to spend my time more productively.
Also, I have spent some of my free time visiting some of the family members that live in the area. and I have been trying to spend more time Skyping family members who don't live so close. I have enjoyed spending some more time with nieces and nephews. I am lucky to have so many awesome ones.
The festival went better than expected, and we almost can't believe it's over. We worked all day on Saturday, but luckily for us, Monday was the day we had off for Veterans Day. Thank you Veterans! Not just because Jess had a paid holiday, but because of all they have done for our nation. Thank you.
It hit me yesterday (Monday) that it was the 12th of November, and Thanksgiving is on the 22nd. That means we now have less than 10 days until Turkey Day! That also means 10 days until we decorate for Christmas! Huzzah! I am slowly trying to decorate our house more and more each year. Not that we're ever going to be the type to have the whole house decorated for Christmas, but I think it'd be nice to have a cute throw pillow to go along with our 3' tree and nativity sets.
Gluten free eating is still going fine. That's not to say it isn't a struggle, but that's life. I think one thing that I struggle with is products that could be gluten free, except they are processed on facilities that also produce things with gluten in them. We have to be careful about cross contamination, and it is really frustrating when other people have celiac's disease, and they don't take the time to worry about cross contamination, or even eating g-free. It makes me wonder if they just think that as long as they don't feel that sick, it's not a big deal. It's totally possible to have celiac's disease, eat gluten, and feel fine, but it greatly damages the persons insides. I wonder if, perhaps, they don't fully understand what celiac's disease is. I guess that's possible.
Any how, being a gluten free house hold is a little more expensive in some ways, but less expensive in others. Gluten free oats are more expensive, and we have to make sure the herbs and spices we buy aren't cross contaminated (no more WINCO bulk bins!) There are a few times when I have put something in my cart that ought to be fine, but actually were not, like lentils. There are times we have to buy a more expensive brand of a product, because the store brand isn't safe.
Some of Jesse's family gets together to make gingerbread houses during the holidays. We're debating among the following options...
a) try to bake gluten free ginger bread.
b) go to the event, but not participating in the activity
c) buy the products necessary to make glutenized ginger bread, make the ginger bread cookies, and try to be very careful about washing our hands
d) buy a ginger bread house kit for $8, and try to be careful about washing our hands.
e) try making a ginger bread house out of gluten free graham crackers. It will probably be the same price to buy a kit as it would be to buy the amount of gf graham crackers we would need to build a little house.
I think we might buy the kit. We're not planning on eating it any how, we just have to be careful about licking our fingers and touching our mouth. It's going to be different, but do-able.
So, since I have been unemployed, I have done a few things to keep myself busy. There has been days where I have watched way too much television, and done way too little good. Lately, though, I have done a few good and productive things. For one, I have started to listening to radio shows on the Mormon Channel while I have been getting things done around the house. For one, it is nice to hear some one else's pleasant voice around the house. Secondly, it gives me ideas of things to write about in my personal writing. And it always has good things going. It helps me want to spend my time more productively.
Also, I have spent some of my free time visiting some of the family members that live in the area. and I have been trying to spend more time Skyping family members who don't live so close. I have enjoyed spending some more time with nieces and nephews. I am lucky to have so many awesome ones.


Comments