The Results

This post is mostly for my (LG's) side of the family. The Gibb side already knows most of the information, but they might be interested in reading it any way, because I have some funny things to say about Jess when he's drugged out.

About a month ago, Jess had a check up at the doctors. While there, he decided he would be tested for celiac's disease, on a whim. He hadn't been feeling any symptoms, but since it runs in the family, he figured he might as well check. We were very surprised to see the blood test come back positive.

We decided that we should have an endoscopy done, so we could see how bad it is, and so that we could have more proof (i.e. so we wouldn't second guess ourselves later in life). In order for the test results to show correctly, Jess needed to continue to eat gluten, roughly the amount of four slices of bread per day, for a month. So, yesterday morning, we went to the endoscopy place, and he had the procedure done. We weren't expecting to hear the results from the biopsy for another week, but while they were poking around in his intestines (I think?) they took pictures, and that told us everything we needed to know. He needed to change his diet today (i.e. yesterday), rather than wait the week for the test results. 

In the last month, we had been going out to eat a little more, ordering the food that wouldn't be an option any more, as well as making some of Jesse's favorite "glutenized" meals (pastas, breads, etc). Yesterday afternoon, we started the change. We have slowly been getting rid of the food we that has gluten in it, and have slowly been buying more and more fresh food, as well as gluten free items.

So, we bought a new toaster just for Jess's GF bread products. We are getting rid of a bit of our food storage (cake mixes, pastas, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth). I will be heading to the store later today to pick up GF variations of these products. So far, we're doing pretty good. I think it'll become easier as we build our food storage back up with GF products.

With celiac's disease, we have to be very careful about cross contamination. Jess and I can't use the same toaster. If I put peanut butter on a slice of wheat bread, and then dip the knife back in the jar, Jess can no longer use that peanut butter. There are things we have to be careful about, and it is something we want to take seriously. I know that might be a hassle for some family gatherings. It is going to be a little different, but it is very do-able.

I'm hoping to start compiling a list of good foods (western family brand onion soup mix is GF) and bad foods (lipton onion soup is not GF). Off the top of my head, some GF products include nutella, cool ranch doritos, and food should taste good chips. We will be reading the label of all processed foods we buy, and be buying more "whole foods" (or as Joseph calls them, God Foods), like fresh meats, cheeses, vegetables, etc.

On a lighter note, Jess had to be sedated for the procedure yesterday, and he was really funny when he woke up. At one point, he was mumbling about how much he loved the cabin, and then his mind seemed to wander a tad. "I love the cabin...it's so nice...there are snowmobiles...and shotguns...and cauliflower. So nice. And white. The snow. The styrofoam cups. The cauliflower. The white chocolate. I like chocolate."

It was a hoot. We may share a story or two at the next family gathering.

I feel like there are a billion more things I could say about our new dietary changes, but this post is long enough as it is. It's going to be a good learning experience, and we have already met a ton of really great people who have celiac's disease, as well as a load of new blogs and books for us to peruse. Thank you for all the support.

Comments

Joyful Noise said…
I have found that eating gf has helped me to have a much "cleaner" diet. I feel fantastic! If you don't eat lots of "snacky" things then it is also not any more expensive. Fresh fruits, veggies, little bit of meat and rice, potatoes or corn and it is pretty easy! If you want some more leads for cookbooks or websites let me or Becky know.
Joyful Noise said…
http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/

I hope you have been to this website! She has such a good attitude about cooking gf! It just makes it easier to make the whole household gf! She has so many great recipes! Takes a little practice, but I am sure you will do great L!

Popular Posts