Girly Girl? Tom Boy?

While at work the other day, I said something about how I am a fan of Jane Austen. One of my co-works was surprised, because, in his mind, girly girls like Jane Austen, and he didn't think I was a girly-girl.

So that got me thinking. Now, I do not consider myself a girly girl at this point in my life. (I may have been a girly-girl in my past, or may be one again in the future, just not right now). I have a hard time wearing heels (I wore loafers to my own wedding reception). I rarely wear jewelry (once a month?) or make-up (once a week?). I don't like clothes shopping. One of my favorite things to eat is steak or pulled pork. I have watched professional basketball since I was 5, and I still follow it (Woo! NBA season starts on Christmas Day!)

But, I don't consider myself a tom boy. I don't enjoy playing sports (or many other sorts of competition). I know what the word "collage" means.

Come to think of it, those are the only things that comes to mind when it comes to why I am not a tom boy. But I don't consider myself a tom boy. I mean, I do like Jane Austen, and I do enjoy doing cute crafty things (card-making, thank you Wendy). I have more skirts than I have pants.

After some consideration, I decided that this label does not matter to me. There are girls who love wearing high heels and jewelry, and watch football (and know what's going on). There are boys who bake up some adorable cupcakes and then head outside to chop wood.

I like what I like (Jane Austen, the NBA, chocolate truffles, steak) and whether or not other percieve those activities as feminine or masculine is no big deal.

Comments

Popular Posts