I Love to Read the Scriptures
I'm taking a "Fundamentals of Scripture Study" class this semester. I'm really enjoying it. I just thought I'd share a few things I jotted down in my notebook.
I ought to begin by stating that the day I jotted this down, we were discussing canon and scriptures. Canon is the ecclesiastical law, being the standard works of the church (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price). Scriptures would be the standard works, words of the latter day prophets, patriarchal blessing, and even Bishop's address to wards. Not all Scripture is public though, like patriarchal blessings, which are private.
Another idea discussed in class is promises of the scriptures. One promise is that if we study the scriptures, our values will be in line with God's values. Too often, we want God to want what we want, even if it's not the best thing for us. We need to get in line with him.
Another idea brought up is the fact that sometimes, when we're in pain, we often re-act stupidly. Whether it is being reckless in words, thoughts, or deeds. The scriptures are the answer though! Jacob 2:8 States that studying the scriptures will heal the soul. That sounds a load better than the alternative.
And last but not least, studying the scriptures will help one have a sound understanding and wax strong in the Lord. (Alma 17:2). Now that is something I definitely want to work on.
So...there's an update. I ought to get back to studying and the like. Love ya!
I ought to begin by stating that the day I jotted this down, we were discussing canon and scriptures. Canon is the ecclesiastical law, being the standard works of the church (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price). Scriptures would be the standard works, words of the latter day prophets, patriarchal blessing, and even Bishop's address to wards. Not all Scripture is public though, like patriarchal blessings, which are private.
Another idea discussed in class is promises of the scriptures. One promise is that if we study the scriptures, our values will be in line with God's values. Too often, we want God to want what we want, even if it's not the best thing for us. We need to get in line with him.
Another idea brought up is the fact that sometimes, when we're in pain, we often re-act stupidly. Whether it is being reckless in words, thoughts, or deeds. The scriptures are the answer though! Jacob 2:8 States that studying the scriptures will heal the soul. That sounds a load better than the alternative.
And last but not least, studying the scriptures will help one have a sound understanding and wax strong in the Lord. (Alma 17:2). Now that is something I definitely want to work on.
So...there's an update. I ought to get back to studying and the like. Love ya!


Comments